Mahatma Gandhi walked his talk
Organizations must have a mission. A mission that articulates the purpose of your existence. Mahatma Gandhi had a mission…… Improving the quality of life for Indian citizens.
Organizations must have a vision. A snapshot, authored by the leadership team, of what they collectively wish the organization to become. Say, in the next five years. Mahatma Gandhi had a vision….. Independence for India.
Organizations must have values. Mahatma Gandhi had principle-driven values….. Non-violence.
Mahatma Gandhi, the leader, walked his talk.
Performance Excellence models have crafted some of the above lessons into their criteria. Particularly, for the two criteria on Leadership and Strategic Planning. The basic framework for the two criteria being:
- Vision is collectively owned by the leadership team
- Strategic planning is a vision-deployment exercise.
As you will note, vision is the common denominator. I believe a vision must:
- Provide a direction for the organization
- Establish the character of the organization
- Set the image for customers and society
- Set the image for employees, existing and potential
- Serve as an organization-wide inspiration
- Be the North Star for an organization’s compass.
Random Thought: What applies to an organization, applies to a Government. In the latter case, the customers are the citizens.