What will our children inherit from this Mumbai Aarey massacre?
Historically, most organizations have been organized in siloes. These siloes have names: Purchase; Operations; Human Resources Development; Marketing; Accounting; and so on.
These silos (functions) are managed with a trilogy of practices: Financial Planning; Financial Control; Financial Improvement. They collectively populate the budget. And the report card is the Profit & Loss Statement.
That is how Mumbai Metro 3 is being managed.
So what is the issue?
Organizations fail because they are not customer driven.
The reality is that customers are outside the organization. They receive the output of work that flows horizontally across functions. We call this work a process.
Processes are managed with a trilogy of practices: Quality Planning; Quality Control; Quality Improvement. They collectively delight the customers.
So far, so good.
So what is the issue?
The ultimate customer is Mother Earth. The air. The trees. The soil. The water.
Mumbai Aarey Forest
Mumbai Aarey Forest is a gift from Mother Earth. Over the years, it has selflessly and lovingly grown to become a lung of Bombay / Mumbai.
The decision and action to fell approximately 2200 trees in one night, is murder of Mumbai Aarey Forest, as well as Mother Earth. This decision was probably based on raw data that was erroneously processed into information……to say what you wanted the information to say….. that “the Mumbai Aarey Forest is the ideal location for the Metro 3 Car Shed”.
Where has the knowledge required for Quality Planning gone?
Where has the collective wisdom of high priests of justice gone?
What will our children and grandchildren inherit from this massacre?
- Data processed with management tools becomes information.
- Information that has been applied gives birth to knowledge.
- Wisdom is knowing when to use or not-use knowledge.
- Plug the above 3, for the Mumbai Metro 3 Car Shed project.
- Why was the relief party for fauna barred from the Metro 3 Car Shed site?
- Has Dr E Sreedharan, the METRO MAN, been consulted?
- Why is the Aarey tree felling speed not practiced for correcting Mumbai potholes?